The Lady Chapel

The Lady Chapel adjoins the chancel to the south. The woodwork and tabernacle were designed by Ralph Adams Cram, the statuary given over a period encompassing the first half of the 20th century.

The Latin inscription over the entry is the first part of the Angelus: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee."
Statues of great saints of the Church, with an emphasis on the Anglican tradition, adorn the niches in the chapel. All but three are the work of Johannes Kirchmayer, an associate of Cram; the others were sculpted by Angelo Lualdi and J. Gregory Wiggins. From north (left) to south they are:

James Otis Sargent Huntington, founder of the Order of the Holy Cross, d. 1935 (Wiggins)

Charles Chapman Grafton, fourth Rector of the Advent (1872-88), later II Bishop of Fond du Lac (Kirchmayer)

Samuel Seabury, first Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States, consecrated 1784 (Kirchmayer)

St Dorothy, martyred in Cappadocia c. 304 (Kirchmayer)

St Bernard of Clairvaux, theologian, abbot, and Doctor of the Church, 12th century (Kirchmayer)

St Etheldreda of Ely, abbess, 7th century (Kirchmayer)

St Joseph of Arimathea (Kirchmayer)

St George (Lualdi)

William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury, martyred 1645 (Kirchmayer)

Edward Bouverie Pusey, leader of the Oxford Movement, d. 1882 (Kirchmayer)

Mother Harriet Cannon, Foundress of the Community of St Mary, d. 1896 (Kirchmayer)

Mother Louisa Mary, a Superior of the Society of St Margaret (Wiggins)
The three larger statues around the altar depict St John the Baptist, the Virgin and Child (both by Ernst Filip Thomann), and St Joseph (by Kirchmayer):